Saturday 5 March 2011

First Tutorial with Emma Bulley


Emma firstly looked at this piece, she was shocked because this work is so removed from the work that I concentrated on at University when I concentrated on the female form and my body. I was interested in understanding the issues of being a middle- aged, overweight woman in a society that does not view this as attractive. I explored these issues through imagery of paintings. Whereas the work I am producing reflects situations that I have either witnessed or an incident that I explore within my paintings.
When discussing this painting the grafitti in which I had already decided had to be removed, it made the image too obvious, and Emma agreed. This image is about a situation that occurred as I walked to the shops, and the man just glanced at me, and his look was very threatening even though he was in a passive pose, and within that split second there is that 'flight or fight' reaction.
The size of the painting is large and menacing, and as the viewer I felt that there is a sense of voyeurism, and looking at the understanding of society in which we live this piece reflects 'the grit of city' or 'Urban Grit' the reality of what happens and yet certain aspects that could be confrontation is removed by the use of masks of animals.           

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Just started as a tutor at OCA and was looking through the site and came across this paining. It really captures so much, the menace of the dog person, the fear of the spectator and an era, the era of the hoody. Very emotive piece.

    ReplyDelete