Saturday 5 March 2011

Tutorial Continued - My work on context and research

Emma and continued to discuss the issues raised in the painting I was working on, and about the society in which we live, the cycles of depravation in some areas. Furthermore we touched on the subject of my faith as a Christian and relating this to the idea of good vs evil, and the social issues.
Emma suggested that I look at the artist Lucien Freud (b.1922)
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/freud/ - accessed 3.3.2011

Freud's subjects are the people in his life, "I paint people" Freud has said "Not because of what they are like, not exactly in spite of what they are like, but how they happen to be".

Head of a Naked Girl 1999 - 2000
Oil on Canvas

Freud sees painting his subjects without their clothes, because he believes that it allows them to shed their protective facades, and to reveal their more basic aspects of their instincts and desires. He states "I'm really interested in people as animals".
"I like people to look as natural and as physically as ease as animals". 


When I look at the work of Freud I struggle to see warmth in the skin that he paints, there is a sense of aversion to the skin, the fleshiness is quite off putting, His figures does not create a sense of menacing that I have produced, and the image is quite forceful. Freud has the ability to bring the figure and the background in a united aspect, Emma suggested that I need to create a relationship with the background and the figure.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment