Thursday 3 March 2011

Start of new piece




This piece was inspired by an incident whilst walking to the local shops, there was a group of people gathered by a high wall that is about 20ft long, one person was seperated from the group. He was talking on his phone and when I approached, he ended his call.




  As I went to walk past him ,he looked up at me and throw a look of pure contempt, but there was something else this sense of underlying violence. He was not in a threatening stance, the body language did not betray anything, however his eyes said everything.
At first I was frightened and felt very intimidated, however I decided that this was an interesting reaction between two unknown individuals in which I could explore within a painting.
I decided that I wanted to use a mask of an animal.

The reason I decided to use a Staffordshire Bull Terrier is because where I live is known as 'Staff City' because there is a large population of this breed of dog, as well as Pit Bull Terriers and Cross breeding between the two breeds is known. So in using the mask of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier seemed to fit within the context of the image and the situation. When you live within a city you gain a sense of the society in which you live amoungst in day to day life.
Within the final image you as the viewer can see the point that I have reached at this moment in time, and it will be an interesting process to see not only how this painting progresses and the final result, and what will be the final result? When will I recognise that this piece has been concluded or not.
   


No comments:

Post a Comment